Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Spicy,salty cabbage salad.Comparable to a fresh unfermented encurtido.Made to top empanadas,gorditas,or anything else that needs some crunch. Adjust salt to taste:more salt and lime juice and it can be used in smaller amounts as a relish,less and its more of a refreshing salad.Use green or red cabbage according to taste.I prefer red cabbage because it looks so pretty.Cilantro is optional.
- 4 cups packed shredded red cabbage (this is about 2/3 a an average head of cabbage) or 4 cups green cabbage (this is about 2/3 a an average head of cabbage)
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 green jalapeno, thinly sliced
- 1 red jalapeno chile, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
- 2 large limes, juice only
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, minced (optional)
- Wash,drain and core the cabbage,shred the cabbage as finely as possible using a very sharp knife.A hand grater or food processor could be used if you prefer.
- Wash and thinly slice the onion and chiles.Mix with the cabbage and cilantro,if using.
- Add salt and lime juice a little at a time,mixing salad and tasting so you can adjust to your taste.