1/4 Photos of Ensalada De Palmitos (Hearts of Palm Salad)
I love when I get a salad at a restaurant that is garnished with Hearts of Palm. I often see the cans in the grocery store and am tempted to grab one, but never do for fear that I wont use it. This is a typical salad, side dish or appetizer from Central America that uses this wonderful ingredient. Since the absorbency of the hearts of palm varies from batch to batch you may need more or less of the olive oil. If making as a salad spoon on top a bed of mixed greens.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 (28 ounce) can hearts of palm or 2 (14 ounce) cans hearts of palm, drained
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (plus or minus, see description)
- 1 large vine-ripened tomato, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup scallion, finely chopped (whites of the scallion)
- 1 dash salt (optional)
- mixed greens (optional)
- 1Using a food processor, puree the garlic into a paste. Add hearts of palm and process to a course purée. With the machine on, add oil in a thin stream until mixture is a velvety purée.
- 2Transfer the purée to a serving bowl and stir in tomatoes and scallions. Adjust salt if needed.
- 3Let sit at room temperature and serve within an hour. If topping salad greens chill mixture in refrigerator.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ensalada De Palmitos (Hearts of Palm Salad)
Serving Size: 1 (276 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 230.0
- Calories from Fat 174
- Total Fat 19.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 850.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 5.7 g