This is a delicious recipe using nopales, which are the paddles of the prickly pear cactus. You can use fresh, cooked nopales if you wish, but we just used jarred cactus. We made this for a dinner party and it was a hit! Cooking time is time spent allowing the cactus to absorb the flavors of the other ingredients. There is no actual cooking involved, unless you decide to cook your own fresh cactus. To save time, chop the veggies while you're waiting for the nopales to marinate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 32 ounces nopalitos (get the kind that are sliced)
- 6 tablespoons white onions, chopped
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 4 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 2/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2/3 cup queso fresco (vegan cheese can be used for a vegan option) or 2/3 cup Anejo cheese, crumbled or shredded (vegan cheese can be used for a vegan option)
- 2/3 cup purple onion, sliced into thin rings
- 6 canned chilies, jalapenos en escabeche cut into chunks
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1Drain the nopalitos and place in a bowl. Cut them into smaller strips, if you prefer.
- 2Add the white onion, cilantro, Mexican oregano, and lime juice to the nopalitos. Stir well. Set aside for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to mingle.
- 3While waiting, prepare the toppings.
- 4When the nopales mixture has sat for 30 minutes, spread the mixture in a 1.5 or 2 inch deep platter.
- 5Top with chopped tomatoes, cilantro, shredded cheese, onion, jalapeños, and avocado.
- 6Place the lettuce along the edges of the platter.
- 7Serve at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ensalada De Nopalitos (Cactus Salad) With Vegan Option
Serving Size: 1 (268 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 180.1
- Calories from Fat 94
- Total Fat 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 52.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.7 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 5.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: