Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
From Tapas: A Taste of Spain in America by José Andrés of Jaleo restaurant in Washington, DC as posted on foldedspace.com with a few changes on my part. I substituted manchego for murcia al vino (also known as Drunken Goat because it is aged in red wine). Any specialty store will carry manchego as does Trader Joe's. If you can find murcia cheese, that can be used instead of course.
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 6 ounces manchego cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 tablespoon chopped fresh chives (NOT dried!)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup spanish extra virgin olive oil (good quality!!)
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- cracked black pepper
- romaine lettuce (about 3 cups)
- 4 lemon wedges
- Toast the walnuts in a cast iron skillet until lightly toasted and fragrant. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk the oil into the apple cider vinegar. Add salt and cracked black pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Combine the apples, cheese, chives, and walnuts in a salad bowl. Toss gently.
- Divide and arrange the romaine lettuce onto 4 salad plates. Place the salad ingredients onto each plate. Drizzle each serving with the simple vinaigrette.
- Garnish each serving with a lemon wedge.
Yum, the granny smith apple, walnut and manchego made a delightful combination. Made for ZWT 8 for The Fearless.
This was very good and I made it exactly as listed (shocking!). I made half the recipe for dinner tonight. Although I liked this salad, I would suggest you do something to add some colour (maybe red lettuce or red apples?) and cut back on the oil because there was a lot of it. I really enjoyed this for dinner! Made for my teammate in ZWT5. Thanks Cookgirl!
A truly wonderful salad! I splurged and got some good olive oil (not Spanish, as my store didn't carry any), and that made a huge difference with the dressing. It was so good! I also went ahead and used Drunken Goat Cheese. I have seen it often in my stores, but never had a good reason to try it, so when I found this recipe, I had to try it! Good stuff, and it tastes delicious with apples and walnuts. Overall this was just a yummy combination that the adults in my house loved. Thank you for posting. Made for ZWT5, for the Groovy GastroGnomes.