Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Having lived in Oaxaca for about 3 years, this recipe brings back fond memories. The aniseseed gives this salad a distinctly Oaxacan touch.
For the greens
- 1 lb beet leaves or 1 lb spinach leaves or 1 lb swiss chard, rinsed well
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice or 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch salt, to taste
For the salad
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon anise seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 cups whole beets, cooked,peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 oranges, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 tablespoon sliced green onion (white part only)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- For the greens: If the greens are really big leaves, roughly cut or tear them.
- Steam the greens for ten minutes over 2 cups water.
- Drain for 20 minutes, then place the greens in a medium mixing bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix the garlic, lime juice, oil, salt and pepper.
- Pour over the greens and toss well.
- For the salad: In a small mixing bowl, mix the vinegar, oil, garlic, aniseed, pepper and limejuice.
- Add the beets and allow to marinate.
- At serving time, lay the greens on a platter.
- Spoon the beet cubes on top and top with orange wedges, green onion and parsley.