Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I found this recipe on a cooking blog called Enlightened Cooking. She credits Everyday Food for the recipe but then she made changes to lighten it. http://enlightenedcooking.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2008-12-02T22%3A47%3A00-06%3A00&max-results=7 I'm saving the recipe here so I don't lose it. If you try it before I do please let me know what you think. I'm totally guessing on the cooking time.
- 1 lb multi-grain penne (I used Barilla plus)
- 2 lbs lean ground beef (*see note below for vegetarian options)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 1⁄3 cups good-quality marinara sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Lighter Parmesan Bechamel
- 3 cups low-fat milk (I used 1%)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons sifted all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cook pasta in a large pot of salted water for 3 minutes fewer than specified on box (~8 minutes). Drain; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, over medium heat, cook ground beef, breaking apart pieces with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink. Add onions; cook and stir 5 minutes longer. Transfer to a colander; drain fat, and discard. Return beef to pan; add wine. Cook over medium heat until almost all liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in marinara sauce, cinnamon, oregano, salt, and 2 cups water; simmer 15 minutes , stirring occasionally, until thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To prepare topping, place milk in a 4-cup glass measure. Microwave at HIGH 3 minutes or until hot, stirring after 2 minutes. Melt butter in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add flour, stirring with a whisk, and cook 1 minute or until bubbly, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly with a whisk. Bring to a simmer; cook over low heat 8 minutes or until sauce slightly thickens, stirring frequently. Remove from heat, and stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and nutmeg. Stir in Parmesan.
- Add pasta to beef mixture; transfer to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Pour sauce over the top, smoothing with the back of a spoon until level. Bake until browned in spots, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from oven; let cool 15 minutes before serving. Makes 10 generous servings.