Recipe by French Tart
By far the most successful of all of Enid Blyton's books, were the twenty-one adventure stories of The Famous Five, who were Julian, Dick, George, Anne and Timmy the dog. The Famous Five characters usually meet up when their respective schools break up for holidays, as the boys go to different boarding schools to the girls. Holidays for the Five consist of either going off on a cycling tour, maybe camping or even visiting strange houses ( castles lighthouses etc etc ). But one thing is for sure, when the Five are about, there is usually an adventure just around the corner! The children's favourite drink was Ginger Beer. It is often quoted that the children drank lashings and lashings of ginger beer. We all know this was never quoted in any of the books but it still seems fitting however, hence my recipe name! Alongside the lashings of ginger beer, The Famous Five consumed vast amounts of sandwiches whilst on their exciting travels! A wonderful old-fashioned ginger beer recipe, worthy of any exciting adventure, discovery or literary picnic!
Top Review by ballsdeeply
I pour it on my full montey just prior to being serviced by my chamber maid. Jolly good for linguistic lapping of her kitty. Utterly a flavor fiesta that's up and coming again and again. woogy woogy woo woo!
- 2 lemons
- 550 g granulated sugar
- 50 g piece fresh gingerroot, peeled and bruised
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 4 1⁄2 liters boiling water
- 1 tablespoon brewer's yeast
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove the yellow outer rinds of the lemons as thinly as possible. Discard all the white pith. Cut the fruit into thin slices, removing the pips.
- Put the sliced lemon and rind into a non-metallic bowl with the sugar, ginger and cream of tartar. Pour on the boiling water, and leave until it has cooled to blood heat.
- Cream the yeast with a little of the liquid, then stir it into the mixture. Cover it with a cloth and leave it in a fairly warm place for 24 hours.
- Skim the yeast off the top, then strain the liquid off the sediment.
- Bottle and leave for 4 days in cool place before use. Consume within a week, and store in a cool place.