5 hrs 42 mins
1 hr 35 mins
4 hrs 7 mins
English Trifle - Guy Attwood
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 egg yolks
- 20 tablespoons whole milk (1 cup plus 4 Tbsp)
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 5 teaspoons cornstarch, dissolved in 4 Tbsp water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1This recipe was given to me by my Grandmother who came over to America in 1895 from England. I have altered it slightly. As far as I know it is relatively original, or as original as any type of recipe such as this can be. It is not only addictive and decadent but pretty to look at as well. This is a special occasion dessert.
- 2Whisk yolks in a medium saucepan.
- 3Gradually add sugar, whisking until mixture is thick and lemon colored, about 1 or 2 minutes.
- 4Blend in whole milk, whipping cream and cornstarch; mix.
- 5Place over medium low heat and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens, about 3 to 5 minutes. DO NOT BOIL OR MIXTURE WILL SEPARATE.
- 6Remove from heat and stir until slightly cooled.
- 7Blend in vanilla and nutmeg.
- 8Transfer to a bowl; repeat process for the two required for the trifle.
- 10Whip the cream as your MaMa or Daddy taught you to do.
- 11In your prettiest large crystal bowl (salad bowl size) place a little less than half the whipped cream around the bottom and half way up the sides.
- 12Break 1/2 of the cakes into bite sized pieces and drop randomly all over the cream.
- 13Drizzle sherry over all.
- 14Drop dollops of jam and slightly less than half of the drained raspberries over the cake.
- 15Drizzle 1/2 of the thick but liquid custard over all.
- 16Repeat for the next layer, reserving some raspberries for the top.
- 17(Try to plan to end with a layer of jam and raspberries as the top of the Trifle.)
- 18Finally, completely cover the top with the remaining whipped cream.
- 19Drizzle a little chocolate on top in any pattern you think looks good.
- 20Add a few raspberries and stand back to receive raves.
- 21To serve, merely scoop down and place on a pretty plate.
- 22NOTE: Make about 4 hours before serving. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for English Trifle - Guy Attwood
Serving Size: 1 (264 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 674.0
- Calories from Fat 363
- Total Fat 40.3 g
- Saturated Fat 23.6 g
- Cholesterol 377.3 mg
- Sodium 212.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 35.6 g
- Protein 7.6 g