Leslie in Texas's Note:
My good friend, Dawn, gave me this recipe over 25 years ago at my request. Her mother is English and I thought this was the best dessert I'd had in a long time! Dawn said that she sometimes uses Bird's Imported English Dessert Mix to save time. This trifle uses three batches of custard and it is recommended that you prepare each batch separately to avoid any scorching or lumping.This is an ideal prepare- ahead dessert for Christmas dinner or any special dinner. This must be made the day before you plan to serve it. Prep time does not include chilling time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 10 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch, dissolved in
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 (12 ounce) purchased poundcake
- 1/2-2/3 cup sherry wine
- 4 (10 ounce) packages frozen raspberries, thawed and thoroughly drained
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 36 almond macaroons (see my Almond Macaroons)
- 1/3-1/2 cup amaretto liqueur
- 1 (12 ounce) jar seedless raspberry jam
- 1Brush flat sides of macaroons with liqueur and arrange flat sides against the glass around the sides of a 12 cup glass bowl or trifle bowl, then line bottom with flat side up.
- 2Spread generously with raspberry jam, being careful not to crush macaroons.
- 3For custard:.
- 4Whisk yolks in medium saucepan.
- 5Gradually add sugar, whisking until mixture is thick and lemon colored, about 2 minutes.
- 6Blend in milk, whipping cream, and cornstarch mixture.
- 7Place over medium-low heat and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens, about 3 to 5 minutes. DO NOT boil or mixture will separate.
- 8Remove from heat and stir until slightly cooled.
- 9Blend in vanilla and nutmeg.
- 10Transfer to bowl and repeat twice, for a total of about 3 3/4 cups custard.
- 11Spoon 1 1/4 cups custard over raspberry jam layer.
- 12Cover with a single layer of pound cake slices.
- 13Using a pastry brush,soak cake generously with 1/4 to 1/3 cup sherry.
- 14Spread thin layer of raspberry jam over cake.
- 15Top with half of drained raspberries.
- 16Carefully spoon another 1 1/4 cups custard over berries.
- 17Repeat layering with remaining pound cake slices, sherry, and jam.
- 18Cover with remaining berries and carefully spread remaining custard over top.
- 19Brush 8 or 9 macaroons with liqueur and arrange over custard, flat side down.
- 20Place plastic wrap directly on surface of trifle and refrigerate overnight.
- 21About 3 to 4 hours before serving, whip cream in medium bowl until foamy.
- 22Add sugar and vanilla and continue beating until stiff but not dry.
- 23Spoon over macaroons, swirling top.
- 24Crush 10 to 12 macaroons and sprinkle a 1 inch border around outer edge of whipped cream.
- 25Refrigerate until serving time.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for English Trifle
Serving Size: 1 (232 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 638.7
- Calories from Fat 262
- Total Fat 29.1 g
- Saturated Fat 17.3 g
- Cholesterol 227.2 mg
- Sodium 183.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 48.1 g
- Protein 5.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: