Recipe by Normaone
A little scoop of vanilla ice cream would be perfect with this rich and yummy cake. It's a nice finale to a special dinner.
For the cake
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 large eggs
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 1 3⁄4 cups pecans, coarsely ground (about 6 oz.)
- 1⁄2 cup English toffee bits (Heath's Bits)
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
For the glaze
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped (not unsweetened)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 cup english toffee pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- For the cake: Position oven rack in center of oven.
- Preheat oven to 350^F.
- Butter a 9 inch round cake pan with 2 inch sides.
- Sprinkle pan with 1/2 tablespoon cocoa.
- Shake out excess.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl.
- In a small heavy saucepan combine butter and 3 tablespoons of cocoa.
- Stir until melted and smooth over medium-low heat.
- Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat eggs and sugar until thick and fluffy.
- Mix in hot water and cocoa mixture.
- Then stir in the flour followed by the pecans, toffee bits and chocolate chips.
- Transfer to the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake about 25 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out with moist crumbs.
- Cool in pan 15 minutes.
- After running a knife around sides to loosen cake, turn out onto a platter.
- Cool For the Glaze: In a small saucepan, over medium-low heat, combine the chocolate, butter and honey until smooth.
- Cool until glaze thickens slightly but is still pourable, about 10 minutes.
- Pour glaze over cake and spread over top and sides.
- Sprinkle top of cake with toffee bits and chopped pecans.
- Chill 1 hour until glaze is set.
- Keep chilled.
- Can be made ahead.