1/7 Photos of English Toffee Apple Bread and Butter Pudding
French Tart's Note:
Just in time for autumn and Halloween - this delicious pudding is a real winner, with the subtle taste of toffee and apples all cooked together in a bread and butter pudding! I found this recipe in a cookery leaflet promoting English apples, and it is now one of our favourite puddings for the cooler months. I have given a variety of breads/yeast cakes to use; although I have made this with all of the choices on offer, my favourite still remains the brioche - I am sure croissants would work very well too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 ounces unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons golden syrup
- 6 ounces dark muscovado sugar
- 4 apples, peeled, cored and cut into small pieces
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 7 ounces milk
- 7 ounces double cream
- 1 lb brioche bread, cut into thick slices or 1 lb sliced white bread, crusts removed or 1 lb panettone, cut into thick slices
- 1Preheat the oven to 190 C (gas mark 5, 375 F).
- 2Melt the butter in a pan with the golden syrup and muscovado sugar. Let it bubble for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring all the time. Add the apple pieces and cook for a further 5 to 10 minutes more, until softened.
- 3In a bowl, mix together the beaten eggs, milk and cream. Cut the brioche, bread or panettone slices into strips (like bread "soldiers") and dip each one in the egg, milk and cream mixture.
- 4Arrange half of them in a 1.2 litre (2 pint) buttered ovenproof dish, then pour over half the apple mixture.
- 5Repeat with the remaining brioche, bread or panettone strips and apple mixture.
- 6Bake for 20 to 30 minutes until the top is golden and the pudding is puffed up and bubbling.
- 7Leave to rest in a low oven until ready to serve.
- 8Serve in slices with cream or custard.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for English Toffee Apple Bread and Butter Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (684 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1636.8
- Calories from Fat 561
- Total Fat 62.3 g
- Saturated Fat 36.6 g
- Cholesterol 260.4 mg
- Sodium 1432.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 240.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.5 g
- Sugars 75.7 g
- Protein 36.8 g