Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is adapted from the FoodNetwork Paula Deen Show.
- 14 tablespoons butter (1 stick, plus 6 Tbsp)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 dash salt
- 1 (6 ounce) bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Generously butter a cookie sheet.
- Put butter, sugar, and water in a heavy pan or skillet over medium-high heat.
- Bring to a bubbling boil, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, about 10 minutes.
- Remove spoon from pan, and cook to a very brittle stage (300 degrees to 310 degrees F on a candy thermometer).
- Or, make a cold water test:.
- Candy will separate into hard, brittle threads when dropped in cold water.
- Remove from heat and add nuts to mixture.
- Add vanilla and salt.
- Pour onto prepared cookie sheet and spread to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Cool slightly, top with chocolate chips or chocolate bars, and spread as it melts. [She melted the chocolate and spread this over the cooled toffee.].
- Cool completely and break into pieces.
- Store in an airtight container.