This toffee is super crispy and oh so buttery. For the topping you can use toasted almonds instead of walnuts or toffee pieces--whatever you like.
- Place a piece of foil that is big enough to cover a 9 X 13 jelly roll pan (like a cookie sheet with sides).
- Spray the foil with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle pecan pieces evenly on foil.
- Melt butter, sugar (both the two cups and 1 tablespoon of sugar), Karo syrup, and water in pan on stovetop.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Turn to medium heat and stir continuously until a candy thermometer says between 290 and 300 degrees or caramel in color.
- Pour mixture over the pecans.
- Spread evenly over the pecans.
- Evenly distribute chocolate chips over toffee.
- Let the chocolate chips melt on toffee for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Use fork or spoon to spread melted chocolate chips over toffee.
- Sprinkle 1 cup chopped walnuts on top of chocolate mixture.
- Refrigerate until chocolate is firm.
- Break toffee into pieces.
- Store in an airtight container.
- 30 minutes preparation and cooking time does not include the time it takes to cool and the chocolate to harden on top.