Recipe by ~Nimz~
This is another of my Mom's recipes that is so good. Hope you enjoy. Prep time is estimated and cooking time is based on how long it takes to harden in the frig.
Top Review by Mommy2two
Delicious and easy, just the kind of holiday treat I like!! I made this last night and the smell was to die for. But this morning, the taste, oh it was even better (is that possible? I don't know, but it is sweet browned butter with chocolate, what could be better than that?!?) I started using my thermometer, but once the sugar and butter got close to the right color, it was easy to see the changes in shade and I just took the thermometer out because it was in my way. I sprinkled the almonds (sliced) over the top of the melted semi-sweet chocolate chips I used (definitely not a whole cup of nuts, about 1 cup of regular chocolate chips). I found that if you never put the toffee in the fridge (everything in them can sit at room temperature, even the butter), they don't sweat and they set up just fine. I spread my toffee on tin foil to cool and clean up was a breeze. Thanks for sharing your recipe. I want to try mixing the nuts in with the toffee, and I think I'll give it a go tonight.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon light Karo syrup
- 5 Hershey Bars
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients except the Hershey Bars.
- Cook in heavy pan over high heat.
- Stir until shade darker than brown sugar- about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Pour onto cookie sheet and spread with back of wooden spoon to all edges.
- Crush five Hershey Bars and spread over the top.
- Refrigerate immediately for about an hour or until cool.
- When harden, break into pieces and store in air tight container.
- Best if kept in refrigerator.