Prep 2 hrs
Cook 15 mins
Thickly buttered, these fruity, cinnamon spiced teacakes are brilliant for breakfast or afternoon tea and make a great snack anytime. I used to have them in mid morning break at school!
- 400 g plain white flour
- 12 g salt
- 40 g sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 50 g butter
- 25 g dried yeast
- 220 ml water
- 80 g sultanas
- 60 g mixed peel
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- In a large bowl place the flour, salt, sugar, cinnamon, butter and yeast.
- Add the water and mix together to form a dough. Knead for 2 minutes and then transfer the dough to a floured work surface. Knead the dough for a further 5 minutes then place back in the bowl for 1 hour to rise.
- Add the sultanas and mixed peel and divide the dough into 80g pieces, shape them into balls and using a rolling pin flatten them out to 1cm thick.
- Place the teacakes onto a greased baking tray and leave to rise for a further hour.
- Set the oven to 375°F
- Brush the teacakes with beaten egg and bake for 15 minutes.
- Once cool, serve toasted with loads of butter!