Recipe by cookinrooky
These English style chips will fill your belly with great taste but won't make the scale budge!
Top Review by Mrs. DeVelopment
These turned out excellent! I have made chips many times before - both in the microwave and the oven. Soaking them in water made a big difference in the crispness. I used my Cuisinaire slicer and placed a strainer inside of a large Tupperware bowl full of water. Worked perfect and made my little assembly line go quickly. I used only cooking spray and kosher salt, flipping chips about 1/2 way through. Thanks for a great method!
- 1 (12 ounce) baking potatoes
- 3 cups very hot water
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt or 1⁄4 teaspoon table salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Scrub potato with a brush. Cut potato crosswise into 40 very thin slices using mandoline slicer or very sharp knife.
- Combine potato slices and hot water in a large bowl;let stand 10 minutes. Drain. Arrange potato slices on a layer of paper towels;pat dry.
- Coat 2 (15x10-inch) jelly roll pans evenly with oil. Arrange potato slices in a single layer on pans. Coat potato slices with cooking spray, and sprinkle evenly with lemon pepper and salt. Bake at 400 degrees for 18 minutes or until lightly browned.****NOTE** Watch chips carefully, and quickly remove individual chips from the pan as they become lightly browned.
- **NOTE** Soaking the potato slices in hot water speeds up the cooking process and washes away excess starch, resulting in crispier chips.