1/3 Photos of English Stilton and Twice Baked Potato Picnic Pies - Pasties
French Tart's Note:
This is such a wonderful and easy recipe, especially if you are Stilton cheese and potato fans, as we are! Just slice up pre-cooked potatoes, add a slice of Stilton, season and bake in a pastry case, and there you have it......a great snack, lunch or picnic food extraordinaire! Serve them with assorted chutneys, pickles, salads or even MORE potatoes for a very tasty meal. I have stipulated ready-made shortcrust pastry, but puff pastry would also work well. Ingredients are listed for 4 people - however, this recipe is easy to multiply or reduce, according to your potato and Stilton supplies!!
My Private Note
Pies or ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- 2Grease and line a sturdy oven proof biscuit (cookie) sheet.
- 3Cut out 8 pastry circles - about 3" to 4" in diameter - a cup is a great template!
- 4Place the sliced potatoes on 4 of the pastry circles - leaving a 1/2" border.
- 5Season well with black pepper, and salt if you wish - remembering that Stilton is quite salty itself.
- 6Place a slice of Stilton cheese on top of the potatoes.
- 7Place the remaining 4 circles of pastry over the top - bringing up the bottom pastry circle and pinching them together to make a crust - the bottom pastry circle should sit over the top of the top pastry circle as a seal.
- 8Press the crust with the back of a fork to make a pattern and seal the pastry circles together.
- 9Cut two 1" slits in the top of each pie - to let the steam escape.
- 10Glaze the tops with the beaten egg and milk mixture.
- 11Place onto the lined and greased oven tray and bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown and crisp.
- 12Allow to cool slightly before eating, as the cheese will be very hot!
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for English Stilton and Twice Baked Potato Picnic Pies - Pasties
Serving Size: 1 (195 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 395.7
- Calories from Fat 171
- Total Fat 19.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 52.8 mg
- Sodium 300.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 6.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: