Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Adapted from a book with quite authentic international recipes published in 1951, A World of Good eating. I haven't tried it yet but can't wait.
- 2 small beef kidneys
- 3⁄4 lb round steak
- 1 cup flour
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- hot water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1⁄4 cup celery, diced or 1⁄4 cup celery top
- 1⁄2 cup fresh mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, diced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1 pie crust
- Remove skin and coarse parts from kidneys if not already done.
- Wash in salted water.
- Mix 1 cup flour with salt and pepper to taste in a plastic bag.
- Cut kidneys into one-inch squares and place in bag with flour. Seal well and shake to dredge.
- Remove kidney and pound remaining seasoned flour into 3/4 lb. of round steak.
- Cut the round steak into one-inch pieces.
- heat oil in heavy skillet and brown beef cubes on all sides.
- Add onion and kidneys, cooking slowly until brown.
- Cover meat with hot water, add bay leaf, parsley and celery or celery tops.
- Cover tightly and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove meat to deep baking dish.
- Add mushrooms and carrots.
- Mix 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoons flour with 1/2 cup cold water and add to skillet to thicken juices.
- Pour over the meat and vegetables and top with pastry crust.
- Bake in preheated 350F for 1 hour. Cover when pastry is golden to prevent over-browning.