Recipe by Julesong
This layered dessert is best presented in a clear glass bowl. It looks very elegant but is so easy to prepare. (An adopted recipe. I have not prepared this particular version, myself, but I do love trifle.)
- 2 cups whipping cream (or more!)
- 1 -2 cup sherry wine (or more!)
- 2 cups fruit cocktail, drained
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 2 cups fresh strawberries or 2 cups frozen strawberries (pureed, leaving 6-8 whole for garnish)
- 1 sponge cake, cut into cubes (see recipe below or use store bought sponge or flan cake )
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Spoon approximately 1/3 of whipping cream into bottom of glass serving bowl.
- Next, a layer of 1 cup fruit cocktail, a layer of banana, a layer of 1 cup puried strawberries, and finally half of the sponge cubes.
- Pour 1 cup of Sherry over cake cubes.
- Put 1/3 whipping cream on top, and repeat with alternate layers of fruit cocktail, banana, strawberry, and cubes with Sherry.
- Top with remaining whipped cream, and whole berries for garnish.
- Sponge Cake: beat egg yolks and lemon juice until pale, add 3/4 cup sugar and beat well.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites, add salt, and 1/4 cup sugar beating until stiff.
- Stir 1/4 of the whites into yolk mixture. Spoon the rest carefully into yolk.
- Sift flour on top, fold in melted butter until blended.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pour batter into tube pan, bake 45 minutes (or until toothpick comes out clean). Invert and cool.