Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Whitby and Scarborough on the North Yorkshire coast of England were the places of inspiration for me with this recipe, they specialise in locally caught fish, perfect for this iconic English dish. Whereas fish and chips are usually only accompanied by salt and vinegar (Malt vinegar please!) when eaten out of newspaper, when eaten in a Fish and Chip Cafe or Restaurant, you are always served this tartar sauce with your meal, tangy and wonderful with the fish especially and a squeeze of lemon. If I close my eyes I can almost imagine the sun on my face and the salty smell in the air, with seagulls wheeling around above, and the smell of that special supper or lunch to follow, after exploring the little cobbled streets. This is a bit of a cheats version as it uses ready made mayonnaise; however, if you do make your own, then please use your own home-made mayo for this recipe, as I often do. Now all you need is a sun hat, a deck chair and plenty of time to do nothing before enjoying your fish supper!
- 150 ml good quality mayonnaise or 150 ml home-made mayonnaise
- 150 ml plain yogurt or 150 ml creme fraiche or 150 ml sour cream
- 1 large shallot, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 teaspoons finely chopped capers
- 4 teaspoons finely chopped gherkins or 4 teaspoons cornichons
- 4 teaspoons finely chopped english fresh curly-leaf parsley
- 4 teaspoons of finely chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt, to taste
- white pepper, to taste
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. ( Allow the flavours to infuse for an hour before serving).
- Place in an airtight jar or container and store in the fridge for up to one week.
- Serve with fish and chips or ALL manner of seafood and fish!
Yum! Due to major heatwave our 'fish' was fish fingers and our 'chips' were just that, in the American sense - potato chips. Lovely creamy-sharp sauce. We all really enjoyed dolloping onto our fish fingers. Thanks.
I've got to admit, Tartlette, that I drench my "chips" in Malt Vinegar! But this sauce on my fish was very companionably (I do think I just created a new word!) welcomed! I did as you suggested and used some home-made mayo as the starter. Everything else was essential to the product. I loved it, and plan on keeping some in the fridge. You never know when a FISH & CHIPS craving will attack! Made for the Voracious Vagabonds during ZWT 6.
Best tartare sauce recipe ever