Recipe by Karen Pea
This is a recipe that my mum gave me and it makes a very comforting meal on a cold day. I am not certain if you can buy Cumberland sausages in other countries (doubtful!) but if not then go for a thick, heavily seasoned / peppery sausage. What I call Butter Beans I think are called White Lima Beans in the US. I think Worcestershire sauce is widely available but if not use a brown spicy sauce. Lastly, I think cider is referred to as "hard cider" in the US so just to clarify it's the version with alcohol for this recipe! I normally serve with baked potatoes.
Top Review by brightandbreezy
This recipe is great for impressing guests without being too stressed as it benefits from being made in advance. It can even be easily transported so great for cottage breaks. It was easy to make. An old fave with a special feel to it!
- 6 cumberland sausages
- 2 onions, chopped
- 16 ounces butter beans (I used tinned)
- 16 ounces baked beans (tinned)
- 1⁄2 of chopped garlic clove (my mum said half but I like to use a whole clove)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 0.5 (440 ml) can cider
- 12 slices bacon
- 2 pints chicken stock
- 16 ounces of tinned chopped tomatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Grill the sausages until brown.
- Fry the chopped onions with the garlic and bacon.
- In a large saucepan add all the ingredients except only add half the stock. Bring to the boil and then simmer slowly.
- The recipe doesn't tell you how long to simmer for but sometimes I serve after 20-30 mins or so. If I keep it on for longer I haven't managed to overcook it yet. I just add in the rest of the stock as and when required if I'm waiting for guests to arrive.