1/3 Photos of English Roast Beef
2 hrs 20 mins
Chef Shadows's Note:
SOURCE Shadows An 18th century flavor treat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Gravy
- 1Salt and pepper roast well.
- 2Place the butter in your pan and melt it over medium heat.
- 3Brown the roast on all sides in this butter.
- 4After browning add 1/2 cup water to the pan.
- 5Put sage and mint on the roast.
- 6Cover pan.
- 7Roast at medium heat ( 325 -350 ) for 3 hours if you like well done or 2 hours for rare.
- 8Every hour or so look to make sure there is at least 1/2 cup liquid in the pan.
- 9When done to your liking remove roast to a plate and keep warm.
- 10GRAVY: Melt butter in a clean fry pan over medium heat.
- 11Add flour to melted butter.
- 12Stir until well mixed with the butter.
- 13Remove from heat and add 1/2 cup cold water,
- 14The water must be cold, not hot, or the flour and butter will become lumpy.
- 15Mix until a smooth paste is formed.
- 16Place the pan back on medium heat.
- 17Add sage and mint.
- 18Now add all the liquid from the roasting pan and mix it well.
- 19Stir all the time and let it boil slowly until thickened.
- 20Remove from heat and serve over roast.
- 21OPTIONS: The onion, garlic, seasoned salt and crushed red pepper are added to the roast before cooking. Red wine can be used instead of water while roasting (use water only in the gravy).
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for English Roast Beef
Serving Size: 1 (333 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 476.2
- Calories from Fat 218
- Total Fat 24.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.6 g
- Cholesterol 187.2 mg
- Sodium 195.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 58.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: