Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
A very traditional recipe imported by our first settlers from England. Just lovely garnished with hard sauce. From the New England chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- Sift first five ingredients together; stir in fruit.
- Soak crumbs in milk for ten minutes.
- Beat eggs and sugar together until lemon-colored; add suet and soaked crumbs and stir into flour-fruit mixture.
- Add brandy and mix well.
- Pour into greased molds, cover tightly and steam 3 to 4 hours (depending on the size of molds used) OR tie in a large piece of heavy muslin, heavily buttered and floured, allowing plenty of space for expansion.
- Place in a large kettle of boiling water with rack in bottom to hold pudding off the bottom.
- Boil 3 to 4 hours, replacing water as necessary.