Recipe by French Tart
The last time I had a glass of Pimm's with all the trimmings, was on the lawn at a lovely old Elizabthan Hall, on a beautiful English summer's evening......so, I named my cocktail, Pimm's on the Lawn!! Nothing beats a glass of Pimms on a summerï¿½s day. The British beverage is almost as much a tradition as the cup of tea, and the British down the gin-based drink by the gallon during the summer months. A history of Pimms: Step back to a London oyster bar in the 1840s where owner James Pimm invented the thirst-quencher. Using gin, quinine and a secret mixture of herbs, good old Pimm served up the brew as an aid to digestion, dishing it out in a small tankard and the No. 1 Cup moniker was born. After the Second World War, Pimms extended their range, using a number of other spirits as bases for new cups. Scotch lent its name to No. 2 cup, whilst No. 3 used brandy, No. 4 rum, No. 5 rye and No. 6 vodka. Of all of these, the vodka cup is the only one in production along with the original No. 1 cup, which still reigns supreme in popularity. Cheers!
Top Review by graniteangel
I HAD to buy a bottle of this last time I was in the liquor store! In New Orleans I made at least a million "Pim's cups". Even as an English Liquor it's VERY popular as a drink drank with Breakfast/Brunch in UpTown New Orleans (all the old money people with nice houses in the Garden District). I make mine the traditional New Orleans way with Pims, fresh lemon juice, 7 up(called lemonaide in UK and in Austalia) and garnished with a lemon and cucumber pinwheeel. I however LOVED this version of it with all of the fruit. BEAUTIFUL FT!!! Thanks from taking me back 5 years to my Nawlins days and making it better!
- 1 cup Pimm's liqueur
- 1 slice orange, per person
- 1 slice lemon, per person
- 1 slice apple, per person
- 1 slice cucumber, per person
- 1 sprig of fresh mint
- strawberry (optional)
- Half fill a large jug or tall glass with ice cubes.
- Take one slice of orange, lemon, apple, cucumber per person and one sprig of mint and add to them to the glass or jug. (Add strawberries if you are using them.).
- Pour two parts lemonade to one part Pimms over the top of the fruit, cucumber and mint, mix and serve.
- One part is usually 50 mls - to two parts, 100 mls of lemonade.
- Alternative Pimms Cocktails:.
- Turbo Pimms No.1.
- As above but five parts lemonade, two parts Pimms, one part gin.
- English Passion Pimms No.6.
- Take a shaker 2/3 full of ice and add 50ml of Pimms No.6, 25ml of Zubrowka vodka, flesh and juice of a passion fruit and a dash of sugar syrup. Shake well and strain into a tumbler full of ice. Garnish with a sprig of mint and two short straws.
- Maximum Voltage Pimms No.6.
- Take a shaker 2/3 full of ice, 50ml of Pimms No.6, 25ml of Zubrowka vodka and 25ml of Cointreau. Shake well and strain into a highball full of ice. Fill with soda water and garnish with mint.