Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Peas & Pearls are a lovely accompaniment to Sunday roast chicken, or to traditional ham or lamb dishes! You may use fresh seasonal petite baby peas and white pearl onions, when available.
- 16 ounces frozen baby peas
- 8 ounces frozen white pearl onions
- 2⁄3 cup cream
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed dried tarragon
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons sweet butter, slightly softened
- 1 tablespoon fresh finely snipped parsley (or fresh mint)
- Cook peas and onions (according to package directions) until done; drain. Set aside and keep warm.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the cream, sugar, salt & pepper, garlic, tarragon, and flour until smooth.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat to medium and continue to cook, stirring constantly, for three minutes more.
- Reduce heat to low and add the cooked peas and onions to the cream sauce; stir gently to combine and heat through briefly.
- Serve immediately with a garnish of sweet cream butter and fresh snipped parsley (or mint).
Easy, and excellent!
Who knew peas could taste so good! Left out the tarragon because I did not have any. They were great anyway.