1/1 Photo of English Pastry Crust for Meat Casseroles
This is a very traditional recipe for English Pastry CRUST which is used as a top and bottom crust for a meat-filled pie/casserole. It needs to be chilled before using, so you need to make this ahead of the actual main dish you are going to make with it. Some filling suggestions are: -- Leftover turkey, stuffing, and gravy from Thanksgiving -- Roast Leg of Lamb, onions, and gravy. -- Chicken and veggies -- Ham, potatoes, cheese The recipe originally published in Betty Crocker but is becoming harder to find this specialty pastry recipe. Once you try it, it will fast become a favorite for those who especially LOVE to eat the pastry crust as much if not more than the filling. Just about anything you can think of is made extra special with this tasty pastry!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- 2Mix shortening into hot water until melted. Add yolk and blend well.
- 3Add liquid mixture to flour mixture. Mix well.
- 4Place in bowl, cover with plastic wrap and chill several hours or overnight.
- 5When ready to use, preheat oven to 425 degs.
- 6Divide out 3/4 of the dough and pat firmly as a lining for a 2 qt (8-inch) casserole dish.
- 7Fill with whatever filling mixture you desire. (NOTE: Be sure meat is already cooked meat! You are reheating the filling, not cooking sufficiently long enough to cook raw meat!).
- 8Roll out (or pat out) between two sheets of wax paper, remaining dough to use as top crust.
- 9Lay the top crust over the casserole, carefully removing the wax paper.
- 10Cut 3-4 small slits for venting. Seal edges and trim. If you wish, you can brush with an egg wash, or spray with a "PAM" spray to help with browning.
- 11Bake casserole at 425 for 25 mins until crust is golden brown.
Browse Our Top Pot Pie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pot Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for English Pastry Crust for Meat Casseroles
Serving Size: 1 (550 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2176.0
- Calories from Fat 1289
- Total Fat 143.2 g
- Saturated Fat 36.0 g
- Cholesterol 166.0 mg
- Sodium 3067.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 194.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 28.3 g