Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an adatation from a recipe I have had for years. It was originally from the Fleischmann's Yeast Cookbook. I have made it often and have finally adapted it to mixing it in a Bread Machine on the dough cycle. One pkg of dry yeast may be substututed for the 1 Tbs listed. It may not be necessary to 'proof' the yeast, but that's how I make these yummy, soft English Muffins. Toast & top with butter & jam - Perfection !
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 -6 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- Combine milk, butter & 3 Tbs sugar in small glass bowl.
- Microwave for 60 seconds, til very warm.
- Pour into bread machine pan.
- In small bowl stir together yeast, tsp of sugar & 1 cup water.
- Let sit about 5 minutes, until foamy.
- Add to bread machine pan.
- Add flour & salt.
- Process on dough cycle.
- Remove dough & divide in half.
- Roll or pat out each half to 1/2" thick on board sprinkled with corn meal.
- Cut into 3 or 4 inch circles, I use a egg ring.
- Place 2" apart on ungreased cooky sheet.
- Cover, let rise til double, about 30 minutes.
- Carefully remove from sheet and place on preheated non-stick fry pan or griddle.
- Cook 10 - 15 minutes on each side.
- Cool on racks.
- Split in half & toast.