1/2 Photos of English Muffins
5 hrs 30 mins
Jenny Sanders's Note:
Homemade English Muffins! Oh boy! Never again be fobbed off with those little white sponges sold in grocery stores. I have called for whole wheat flour because that is what I use, but you can certainly use all or part hard unbleached (white) flour. The ascorbic acid (Vitamin C powder) is available in bulk food stores, but you will not need it unless your flour is organic, and does not have dough conditioners added. Don't be put off by the length of the instructions, these are really quite easy. You can even make the dough in your bread machine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat the milk and butter to blood temperature.
- 2Test a drop on your wrist-- it should feel barely warm.
- 3Beat in the egg.
- 4Dissolve the yeast in the milk mixture.
- 5Measure the flour into a bowl and stir in the salt.
- 6Make a well in the middle and pour in the milk mixture.
- 7Mix well.
- 8Turn out the dough and knead it until it is smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- 9Put the dough back into a clean, oiled bowl and turn it over (so it is coated in the oil.) Cover it with a damp teatowel and let it rise for about 2 hours, until doubled in volume.
- 10Punch it down, then turn it out and roll it into a cylinder, about 1 1/2" in diameter.
- 11Cut it into 16 equal slices.
- 12They should be 1/2" thick; flatten them slightly if required.
- 13Arrange these on an oiled cookie sheet or on waxed paper.
- 14Cover them with the damp towel and let rise another 2 hours, until doubled in size again.
- 15Bake them in a heavy, ungreased, cast iron skillet at a temperature just slightly lower than for pancakes.
- 16(Medium-low heat.) They should be lightly browned.
- 17Turn them once, and bake the other side.
- 18Each side should take 3 to 5 minutes.
- 19To serve the muffins, they should be split and toasted.
- 20(They will be just barely cooked in the middle otherwise.) These can also be made in a bread machine on the dough cycle.
- 21Put the wet ingredients in first, and follow with the dry ingredients.
- 22Run the dough cycle.
- 23Let rise for the first time, then follow the instructions above from that point, step ten.
Nutritional Facts for English Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (58 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 136.8
- Calories from Fat 29
- Total Fat 3.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 18.3 mg
- Sodium 168.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 6.6 g