1/2 Photos of English Muffins
2 hrs 25 mins
1 hr 35 mins
Morton Design Graphics's Note:
Far better than any English muffins you can buy in the store, and much less expensive, too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Since you cook these on top of the stove, there is no need to preheat the oven.Proof the yeast in the l/2 Cup of lukewarm milk with the sugar.Scald the 1 cup of milk, melt the butter in it and let cool to lukewarm.
- 2Add the salt and the slightly beaten egg to the milk-and-butter mixture. Pour the yeast sponge into a large mixing bowl and blend in the milk-butter-and-egg mixture. Add the flour, a little at a time,mixing together well.
- 3Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead, adding more flour if necessary.
- 4Knead until elastic and shiny.
- 5Then place the dough in a large buttered bowl, cover with a towel and let rise for at least 1 hour, until doubled in bulk.
- 6Meanwhile, pour the cornmeal onto a platter and set aside. Take the dough out onto the work surface and knead again for a couple of minutes.
- 7Roll it out with a rolling pin to a thickness of about 1/3" and, with a glass or a large biscuit cutter, cut out round cakes.
- 8Put these onto the platter with the cornmeal, press down slightly and turn to get the other side covered with cornmeal.
- 9Place on a baking sheet and cover with a towel.
- 10Let stand for about 20 to 30 minutes or until doubled in size. Place a skillet over medium heat and when hot, brush with a little melted butter, turn the heat low and place about 5 to 6 muffins in the pan.
- 11Cook for approximately 5 minutes on each side, or until they are slightly brown.
- 12Cool on a rack.
- 13Toast after they are completely cooled off and right before serving them.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for English Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (1165 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 165.2
- Calories from Fat 42
- Total Fat 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 22.2 mg
- Sodium 213.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 4.2 g