1/2 Photos of English Muffins
1 hr 1 min
Galley Wench's Note:
NOTE: This is a work in progress!!! To keep the muffins uniform in shape, I use muffin rings, however they can be made without rings. To ensure that the muffins are not doughy inside I cover the rings with a cookie sheet after they have been turned. I've also found that a square cake pan also works as a cover, which can be used before turning the muffins over.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Warm the milk in a small saucepan until it bubbles, then remove from heat. Mix in the sugar and shortening, stirring until dissolved.
- 2Let cool until lukewarm.
- 3In a large bowl, combine 3 cups flour with instant yeast.
- 4To flour mixture stir in milk, water, and 3 cups flour.
- 5Beat until smooth.
- 6Add salt and rest of flour, or enough to make a soft dough.
- 7Knead until satiny and smooth.
- 8Place in greased bowl, turn the dough and cover and let rise until double in size.
- 9Punch down.
- 10Roll out to about 1/2 inch thick.
- 11Cut rounds with biscuit cutter, drinking glass, muffin ring or empty tuna can (see note below).
- 12Sprinkle waxed paper with cornmeal and set the rounds on this to rise. Dust tops of muffins with cornmeal.
- 13Cover and let rise 1/2 hour.
- 14Heat griddle.
- 15Spray griddle (and rings if using) with non stick cooking spray.
- 16Preheat griddle to 300 degree F.
- 17Place muffins on griddle and cook for 6-8 minutes on each side.
- 18Hint: Cover with pan lid or cookie sheet (if using rings); this helps to ensure that they are not doughy inside.
- 19Allow to cool and place in plastic bags for storage.
- 20*Cook's Note: Small tuna cans with tops and bottoms removed work well for metal rings.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for English Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (1329 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 193.8
- Calories from Fat 34
- Total Fat 3.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 1.9 mg
- Sodium 137.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 5.1 g