Recipe by SherwinsBecky
May be stored in an airtight container for 3 days, or freeze for up to 1 month.
- 1⁄2 cup water, warmed to 100 F
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 1⁄2 cups bread flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk, warmed to 100 F
- 2 teaspoons cornmeal
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 250°F
- Combine the water, yeast, and sugar in a small bowl and let stand until bubbly – about 8 minutes.
- Combine the flour and salt in a large, ovenproof bowl and warm in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Place the flour mixture and the yeast mixture in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade. With the motor running, add the milk in a steady stream.
- Process until the dough is smooth and rides the blade. If needed, add more water, 1 teaspoon at a time, until dough is smooth and supple.
- Place the dough in a large, oiled bowl, turning to coat all sides. Cover with a clean, damp kitchen towel and let rise in a warm, draft-free place until it doubles in volume -- about 1 hour.
- Punch the dough down, transfer it to a clean work surface, and knead for 3 minutes. Cover with a damp towel and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle a baking sheet with cornmeal and set aside.
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces, gently form each into a patty and place the patties on the prepared baking sheet, turning to coat both sides lightly with cornmeal.
- Cover with a damp towel and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Lightly oil a cast-iron skillet and heat over low heat.
- Place 4 muffins in the skillet and cook until the bottoms are golden brown -- about 2-5 minutes per side.
- Repeat with remaining 4 muffins. Serve toasted.