Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Simple dish for lunch, as a side or just a snack.
- 2 English muffins
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup bacon (cooked) or 1⁄2 cup sausage (cooked) or 1⁄2 cup hamburger (cooked) or 1⁄2 cup sliced cold cuts
- Slice the muffins in half, and place them cut side up in a baking pan or on a cookie sheet.
- Spoon some sauce onto the muffin halves, using just enough to cover the tops (you may not use the whole can).
- Top the sauce with the meat of your choice.
- Sprinkle with Italian seasoning and cheese.
- Place under the broiler until the cheese melts and starts to bubble (3-5 minutes).
- Serve immediately.
My mom always made this and I was trying to think through how to put it in recipe terms. Thanks for putting words to a great memory for me!
Cranked these out assembly line style for a few dozen people (mostly kids!) at a playdate today. I did toast the muffins first. Careful - they cook rather quickly under the broiler. Kids and parents were happy. A real crowd-pleaser for relatively little money and time. I used Wegmans "Food You Feel Good About" pizza sauce. Will definitely do these for playdates in the future.
I love these. I've been making them for years. They are good with bruscetta instead of tomato sauce also. Definately a kid pleaser... put out the ingredients and let them assemble. I always put out some veggie topping options also.