Recipe by Darkhunter
These old recipes kept going around in my sister's office where she worked for almost 30 years. This one is just plain good! Enjoy.
- 5 1⁄2-6 cups flour
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine 3 cups flour, yeast, sugar, salt and soda.
- Heat liquid until very warm (120-130 degrees F).
- Add to dry mixture, beat well. Stir in enough more flour to make a stiff batter. Spoon into two 8 1/2 x 4 1/2" pans that have been greased and sprinkled with cornmeal. Sprinkle tops with cornmeal.
- Cover with clean dishcloth; let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes. Bake at 400 degrees F for 25 minutes. Remove from pans immediately and cool.
- Slice and toast.