Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is the next best thing to authentic English Muffins!This recipe is 40 yrs old...
- 5 3⁄4 cups flour
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- Measure and combine 3°C flour, yeast,sugar, salt, and soda.
- Heat milk and water to 120 to 130 degrees.
- Add to dry mixture, beat well.
- Stir in enough of the additional flour to make a very stiff batter.
- Grease 2 loaf pans and sprinkle with corn meal.
- Spoon batter into loaf pans sprinkle tops with a little remaining corn meal.
- Cover and let raise in a warm place for 45 minutes.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Remove from pans immediately and cool store in plastic container or bags for freshness.
This recipe produced a bread with a crisp, crunchy crust and a moist, dense interior. This bread would also be great served right out of the oven with soup, stew or chili. Thanks for the great recipe!
I have the same delicious recipe, only mine calls for 6 cups flour instead of 5 3/4. Thanks for posting this keeper!