Recipe by duonyte
From a Fleischmann's Yeast recipe book. This is one bread that does not really taste good until it is toasted, but then it's great. Very quick and easy. I've only done the orange-nut variation, loved it. I am sure you can come up with other great variations, let everyone know!
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Made the cinnamon & date version of this bread, & was a bit generous with both amounts of those ingredients! Absolutely great tasting as a warm, toasty treat! We had several pieces with a sweet potato spread & more with a thin slather of cream cheese ~ Both very, very nice! [Made & reviewed in Zaar Stars recipe tag]
- 1⁄4 cup warm water (100-110 deg.F.)
- 1⁄4 ounce Fleischmann's active dry yeast (1 envelope or 2 tsp.)
- 1 cup warm milk (100-110 deg. F.)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Place warm water in large warm bowl. Sprinkle in yeast; stir until dissolved. Stir in warm milk, sugar, salt, and baking soda. Gradually stir in enough flour to make soft dough.
- Grease well a 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inches microwave-safe loaf pan; sprinkle with cornmeal. Place batter in pan; sprinkle with additional cornmeal. To let rise, microwave uncovered, on MEDIUM (50% power) for 1 minute. Let rest 10 minutes. Repeat microwaving and resting 1 or 2 times, until doubled in size. (Or just cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled - obviously this will take a bit longer).
- To bake, microwave on HIGH (100% power) for 4 to 6 minutes or until top is no longer moist. Let stand 5 minutes in pan. Remove from pan; let cool on wire rack. Slice and toast to serve.
- Caution: Recipe developed for 650 watt microwave oven. If yours is stronger, shorten the time. You can always add time, you cannot subtract it.
- Whole Wheat: Substitute 1 cup whole wheat flour for all-purpose flour. Proceed as above.
- Cinnamon-Date: Add 1 teaspoons ground cinnamon along with baking soda; blend well. Stir in 1/2 cup chopped or snipped pitted dates, along with flour. Proceed as above.
- Orange-Nut: Add 1 tbsp grated orange peel along with baking soda; blend well. Stir in 1/2 cup chopped toasted blanched almonds along with flour. Proceed as above. (I actually like pecans better).