Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 2 cups flour, yeast, sugar, salt and baking soda.
- Add warm milk and water; beat on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Beat on high for 3 minutes.
- Stir in remaining flour (batter will be stiff.) DO NOT KNEAD.
- Spray with cooking spray two 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2" loaf pans.
- Sprinkle pans with cornmeal.
- Spoon batter into the pans and sprinkle cornmeal on top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375 for 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from pans immediately and cool on wire racks.
- Slice and toast.
- NOTES : If desired wrap 1 loaf in foil and freeze.
This recipe is exactly what I was looking for. I was able to substitute 1/2 of the flour with whole wheat flour, without turning the loaves heavy. The only other change I made was to add an additional 1/8 tsp. soda, as I wanted to make sure it turned out with lots of "holes". Super easy and not at all difficult - used my kitchen aid stand mixer.
My mixer's bowl may not have been large enough as the first mixture with only 2 cups of flour and the liquid ended up all over the sides and base of the mixer lol! But, having added the third cup before continuing to beat the mixture, order was restored without any harm to the recipe as the loaves turned out lovely. This is most definitely the best bread for toast, in my opinion - a lovely chewy centre with holes to soak up your spread of choice, and a really crispy, crunchy outer crust - heavenly!
I have been making this for about 2 mo now for a certified organic farm every weekend to sell. I make this into mini-loaves. I use bulk yeast, so I use 2 TABLESPOONS (yep!) of yeast, and use water instead of milk (so it is dairy free). This recipe makes 5 mini loaves, they take about 15 min to rise (maybe 20 if your room isn't warm), and then I bake for 22 minutes and they come out perfect every time! People can't get enough of these! Thanks for such a simple yummy recipe! My kids are mad at me though, I never make enough for them! lol