Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is Wonderful toasted with Butter or Ham and more Cheddar!
Make and share this English Muffin Bread-Cheddar and Onion recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- 6 cups flour
- 1⁄3 cup green onion, finely chopped
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages dry active yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 cups extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- cooking spray
- Lightly spray two 81/2 x 2 1/4 inch bread pans-dust with cornmeal and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl combine 3 cups of flour, green onions, yeast, salt, sugar, red pepper flakes and the baking soda.
- In a medium saucepan heat the milk and water until warm, but not hot.
- Stir into the flour mixture.
- Stir in the remaining flour and 1 and 1/2 cups of Cheddar cheese.
- Divide the dough between the two prepared pans. (the dough is sticky).
- Lightly coat tops with cooking spray.
- Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm spot until doubled-45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Bake in hot oven for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove and place pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans and return to wire rack.
- Cool completely.
- This bread is best toasted!