Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Delicious toasted bread for breakfast!
- 6 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 2 cups milk, slightly warmed
- Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Let rise for 10 minutes.
- To yeast add 3 cups of the flour, sugar, salt, and soda. Beat well for about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining flour to make a stiff batter.
- On a floured board, knead gently.
- Put in either 2 well greased loaf pans which have been dusted with cornmeal. Or, put in 4-1lb coffee cans, greased and dusted with cornmeal.
- Cover and let raise for 45 minutes.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans.
- Toast and enjoy!