Recipe by Caroline Cooks
Make ahead & enjoy. From a foodie blog--Culinary in the Desert.
Top Review by appleydapply
We enjoyed this for an easy make-ahead breakfast. Next time I would adjust the seasonings, though, as my family would have liked the flavor of some herbs (parsley, chives?) instead of the mustard flavor.
- 6 whole grain English muffins
- 3⁄4 cup chopped ham
- 1⁄2 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 dash ground red pepper (or more)
- 3 large eggs (separated)
- chopped chives
- chopped parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Separate the eggs.
- Tear muffins in to bite-size pieces.
- Place half bottom of an 8" square baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Scatter ham over top. Sprinkle with half the cheese.
- Sprinkle remaining muffin pieces over cheese.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, egg yolks and chives and parsley(your amount preference) to egg yolks.
- Beat egg whites to fluffy.
- Fold in egg white mixture with milk-yolks-herbs mixture.
- Pour mixture over all in pan.
- Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight. Uncover and bake for 1 hour or until a knife inserted in center comes clean.
- Let stand 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with more chopped herbs, if desired,.