Recipe by Charlotte J
I just wanted the muffin recipe from Good Eats Episode: Little Big Lunch: Eggs Benedict Special Equipment: 8 (3 3/4-inch diameter by 2-inch tall) cans with tops and bottoms removed or 8 English muffin rings. Overnight refrigeration not included.
Top Review by K.b. F.
The receipe, although not traditional as AB acknowledged in the Little Big Lunch Good Eats episode, works great when preparing a breakfast/brunch for a group. One less thing to fuss over really.
- 340.19 g all-purpose flour
- 42.52 g nonfat dry milk powder
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 7.08 g active dry yeast
- 4.92 ml kosher salt
- 283.49 g water
- 14.79 ml shortening
- nonstick cooking spray
- 39.43 ml rolled quick oats
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the flour, nonfat dry milk, sugar, yeast, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Mix on low for 10 seconds using the paddle attachment.
- Put the water and shortening in microwavable container and heat to 120 to 130 degrees F, approximately 2 minutes.
- Stir until the shortening is thoroughly melted.
- Add the water mixture to the dry ingredients and mix on medium speed until well combined, stopping to scrape down the bowl halfway through mixing, about 3 minutes.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator, uncover and mix on medium speed, using the paddle attachment, for 3 minutes.
- Position the 8 cans on a half sheet pan and generously spray the rings and pan with nonstick spray.
- Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of oats in the bottom of each ring.
- Scoop the dough, with a 2-ounce ice cream scoop or disher, into the rings, dividing the dough evenly between the rings.
- Sprinkle each top with 1/2 teaspoon of oats.
- Cover with parchment and let sit in a warm place for 60 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Leave the parchment in place and set a second sheet pan on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes then remove the top half sheet pan.
- Continue to bake until the muffins reach an internal temperature of 210 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer, and are lightly browned, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan with the muffins still in the rings, to a cooling rack for 10 minutes.
- Slide a knife around the perimeter of the ring to loosen.
- Cool completely before splitting with a fork.
- To serve, toast under broiler for 3 to 4 minutes.