1/1 Photo of English Muffin Alton Brown
Charlotte J's Note:
I just wanted the muffin recipe from Good Eats Episode: Little Big Lunch: Eggs Benedict Special Equipment: 8 (3 3/4-inch diameter by 2-inch tall) cans with tops and bottoms removed or 8 English muffin rings. Overnight refrigeration not included.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine the flour, nonfat dry milk, sugar, yeast, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- 2Mix on low for 10 seconds using the paddle attachment.
- 3Put the water and shortening in microwavable container and heat to 120 to 130 degrees F, approximately 2 minutes.
- 4Stir until the shortening is thoroughly melted.
- 5Add the water mixture to the dry ingredients and mix on medium speed until well combined, stopping to scrape down the bowl halfway through mixing, about 3 minutes.
- 6Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- 7Remove the dough from the refrigerator, uncover and mix on medium speed, using the paddle attachment, for 3 minutes.
- 8Position the 8 cans on a half sheet pan and generously spray the rings and pan with nonstick spray.
- 9Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of oats in the bottom of each ring.
- 10Scoop the dough, with a 2-ounce ice cream scoop or disher, into the rings, dividing the dough evenly between the rings.
- 11Sprinkle each top with 1/2 teaspoon of oats.
- 12Cover with parchment and let sit in a warm place for 60 minutes.
- 13Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- 14Leave the parchment in place and set a second sheet pan on top.
- 15Bake for 20 minutes then remove the top half sheet pan.
- 16Continue to bake until the muffins reach an internal temperature of 210 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer, and are lightly browned, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- 17Remove the pan with the muffins still in the rings, to a cooling rack for 10 minutes.
- 18Slide a knife around the perimeter of the ring to loosen.
- 19Cool completely before splitting with a fork.
- 20To serve, toast under broiler for 3 to 4 minutes.
Browse Our Top Muffins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Muffins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for English Muffin Alton Brown
Serving Size: 1 (721 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 204.8
- Calories from Fat 20
- Total Fat 2.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 1.0 mg
- Sodium 249.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 6.9 g