I just wanted the muffin recipe from Good Eats Episode: Little Big Lunch: Eggs Benedict Special Equipment: 8 (3 3/4-inch diameter by 2-inch tall) cans with tops and bottoms removed or 8 English muffin rings. Overnight refrigeration not included.
- Combine the flour, nonfat dry milk, sugar, yeast, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Mix on low for 10 seconds using the paddle attachment.
- Put the water and shortening in microwavable container and heat to 120 to 130 degrees F, approximately 2 minutes.
- Stir until the shortening is thoroughly melted.
- Add the water mixture to the dry ingredients and mix on medium speed until well combined, stopping to scrape down the bowl halfway through mixing, about 3 minutes.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator, uncover and mix on medium speed, using the paddle attachment, for 3 minutes.
- Position the 8 cans on a half sheet pan and generously spray the rings and pan with nonstick spray.
- Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of oats in the bottom of each ring.
- Scoop the dough, with a 2-ounce ice cream scoop or disher, into the rings, dividing the dough evenly between the rings.
- Sprinkle each top with 1/2 teaspoon of oats.
- Cover with parchment and let sit in a warm place for 60 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Leave the parchment in place and set a second sheet pan on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes then remove the top half sheet pan.
- Continue to bake until the muffins reach an internal temperature of 210 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer, and are lightly browned, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan with the muffins still in the rings, to a cooling rack for 10 minutes.
- Slide a knife around the perimeter of the ring to loosen.
- Cool completely before splitting with a fork.
- To serve, toast under broiler for 3 to 4 minutes.