Recipe by 4Susan
An easy, interesting, and inexpensive alternative to the normal eggs & toast breakfast. Makes a great snack too (my boys love it after school!). I first saw this in one of my favorite cook books - Stories & Recipes of the Great Depression by Rita Van Amber.
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the bread crumbs in the milk for at least 5 minutes.
- Melt the butter over low heat and add the cheese (if you like cheese - you can increase up to 1 Cup); stir constantly until the cheese is melted.
- Add the crumbs with milk and the beaten egg to the melted butter, along with *seasonings of your choice, stir and cook 3 minutes longer.
- Serve over toasted bread or english muffins - even crackers.
- *You may like to season this with salt & pepper, cayenne, or Worcestershire sauce. Using different flavors of bread crumbs is fun too!