The first time you make this, you might wonder where you went wrong because it's hard and on the dry side...Trust me, it's supposed to be that way...This is not one of those moist 'tea' cakes... The 'trick' is that you have some strong hot tea with it...Don't make the mistake of having it with coffee, you lose the 'effect'...I prefer stong hot English Breakfast tea with no other flavor (no herbals, etc) Only then will you appreciate the magic of this seemingly ordinary 'tea' cake!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F; Combine well the flour, baking powder, salt and walnuts --.
- 2In a separate bowl cream together the butter and sugar until completely combined; Add Egg Beaters to the creamed butter/sugar beating well; Add vanilla and stir to mix completely --.
- 3Add dry mixture to this 'wet' mixture, combining well --The resulting mixture should be crumb-like --.
- 4Shape the mixture into balls and arrange in a circle in a greased 9" cake pan (perhaps 6 balls, 5 around and one in the middle).
- 5By arranging them in this fashion, you'll get an effect similar to scoring you see in scone recipes except this is achieved 'naturally' by the arrangement of the balls --.
- 6At this time you can sprinkle it with the optional cinnamon sugar (trust me, it's better WITH the cinnamon sugar!).
- 7Bake in preheated 350°F oven for approximately 50 minute (your time may vary).
- 8Allow me to repeat, this will be hard upon completion and dryish -- it isn't intended to be a moist 'tea' cake (so don't be alarmed).
- 9Serve warm or equally good at room temperature; don't forget to have it with strong hot tea (no herbals) for the FULL effect!
- 10Suggestions: substitute pecans for the walnuts.
Browse Our Top Scones Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Scones Recipes
Nutritional Facts for English Hard Cake
Serving Size: 1 (87 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 361.2
- Calories from Fat 158
- Total Fat 17.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 24.5 mg
- Sodium 277.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 20.5 g
- Protein 6.6 g