Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is an excellent dish for Sunday lunch. Serve with steamed potatoes.
- 1 (8 -10 lb) nice braising ham or 1 (8 -10 lb) country ham
- 2 onions
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 carrots
- 1 cup madeira wine
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- bay leaf
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Rub the ham with a mixture of bay leaves and thyme.
- Chop the vegetables and sauté them gently in butter with the sugar, a little thyme and a bay leaf until the onions are translucent.
- Add 1/2 cup Madeira and let it evaporate almost completely.
- Place the ham in a roasting pan and cover with the vegetable mixture, drizzle with melted butter, cover and cook in the preheated 400° F oven for 20-25 minutes per pound.
- Remove the ham from the oven and transfer to a serving platter,reserve the vegetables.
- Degrease the cooking juices and pour them into a small saucepan; you should have about 1 cup; if not, add some water or stock; add the remaining 1/2 cup Madeira.
- Reduce slightly; liquefy with the vegetables in a blender and pour over the ham.