Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
I like this recipe on a Sunday morning, it makes a good vegetarian alternative to a full english breakfast. It's loosely based on one of my grandmothers recipes and should ideally be served with fresh crusty bread to soak up the mushroom and milk juices.
- 250 g closed cup mushrooms
- 4 fresh chives, washed and cut into half centimetre pieces
- 100 ml of whole fat milk
- 25 g butter
- fresh ground black pepper
- Melt the butter in large frying pan.
- Add the seasoning and the mushrooms to the pan and fry over a medium heat until the mushrooms release their juices and begin to contract in size.
- Finally, pour in the milk along with the cut chives and reduce until half of the liquid remains.
Andy, WOW! This simple dish is soooo tasty! Snipped the first of this year's chives for this recipe and served these (as you suggested) with a loaf of freshly baked bread (Italian). Heavenly!! Thanks so much for posting. Looking forward to many more! =)
This dish was excellent. So says the girl that is not a hugh mushroom fan. These tasty little morsels were absoultely delish. I will make this amazing dish again and again. Loved that I always have these ingredients on hand. My dh was in flavor heaven. I served the mushrooms and sauce over Mashed Potato Timbales. Thanks so much for sharing a new family favorite. Into my keeper box this goes. Made for Country Cooking. :)
I'm rating without stars as I made a change to this recipe. I accidentally let it reduce too long so to increase the amount of sauce I added a good tablespoon of crÃ¨me fraiche. It thickened the sauce up and made it wonderfully creamy. I loved this and will make again as a quick meal. I had a couple of ideas such as keeping in the crÃ¨me fraiche and using smoked paprika or wholegrain mustard instead of the chives. Thanks for posting!