Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
English Digestive Biscuits
Make and share this English Digestive Biscuits recipe from Food.com.
- Place dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Cut or rub in the butter with a pastry blender, two knives or your fingertips.
- Add the sugar and enough milk to make a stiff dough.
- Knead this mixture on a flour surface until smooth. All this can be done almost instantly in a food processor.
- If you have time, return the dough to your bowl, cover and chill for an hour. This resting time will make the biscuits more tender and crisp.
- After the dough has chilled, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll out the dough until it is a bit more than 1/8 inch thick, and cut into any desired shape. Traditional digestives are about 2 1/2 inches round.
- Place on greased cookie sheets, prick evenly with a fork and bake until pale gold, about 15 to 20 minutes.
These are excellent ...wonderful to eat with a cup of tea. To give them a professional appearance, press the coarse side of a grater on the dough instead of pricking with a fork. I have a cylindrical meat tenderizer with sharp points that does very well too. As a gadget it is useless for meat but does make shortbread or cookies like these look very nice.
This was very similar in taste to the digestive biscuits I ate as a girl in Ireland. After they cooled I added melted milk chocolate on the tops.With chocolate ,they are called "chocolate goldgrain.
I luv, luv, luv digestives, but where I live you cant get them in the stores. :( Thats why I was thrilled to find and try this recipe. I must say the end result really tastes like the real deal eventhough the texture is not entirely right. Its too solid somehow. Nevertheless I really enjoyed these and will be making them again. Following PrimQuilter's suggestion, I too shaped the dough into a log and cut slices from it after cooling it in the fridge. That way the dough was very easy to work with. THANKS SO MUCH for sharing this lovely recipe with us, Amanda! Made and reviewed while virtually visiting Great Britain in Octobre 09.