Snowbunny Andorra's Note:
Just made my first ever batch of crumpets. Just like the ones we used to buy at Safeway. Aaaah, those were the days.... :o) I didn't have a ring to shape the crumpets, so I just dolloped spoonfuls of mixture into the pan. If you have one, you can make slightly deeper crumpets.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Whisk together the flour, yeast, milk, and enough of the warm water to make a cream-like consistency.
- 2Cover with clingfilm and put in a warm place for an hour, until really bubbly.
- 3When ready, whisk in the salt and baking powder.
- 4Heat a heavy-based frying pan over a medium-high heat and add a little oil to the pan.
- 5Once hot, spoon a tablespoon of the mixture into the pan and cook on one side for 3-4 minutes, until golden underneath. It will spread a little but should keep its shape; if too thin, whisk in a little more flour. Bubbles should break the top surface - if not, it's too thick and you should whisk in a little more water.
- 6Once cooked underneath, gently flip over and cook the top until golden.
- 7If the test crumpet worked out, cook the rest of the batter in the same way, keeping the spoonfuls of mixture apart so they don't join into one giant crumpet!
- 8Serve with lots of butter and a little jam if you wish.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for English Crumpets
Serving Size: 1 (53 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 95.2
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 1.9 mg
- Sodium 216.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 2.9 g