Recipe by Texas Poofy
This cheese soup recipe has been a family favorite for many years. It has also been a life-saver for friends when they are sick. It was the only nutrition a friend could keep down when she had morning sickness and today I made it to take to my daughter who has just had her wisdom teeth removed! It is not as heavy as a lot of cheese soups are and the vegetables add nutrition and flavor.
Top Review by mama smurf
Made for Fall PAC 2012 for our lunch with some friends. This was a great hit! I made as written and served with a side green salad. Next time I might add a little diced ham to the soup and maybe mix the cheese with some pepper jack for some kick. Thank you for posting and definately this recipe is a keeper.
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons carrots
- 3 tablespoons celery
- 3 tablespoons scallions (I substitute onion on occasion)
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Finely chop carrots, celery and scallions. Put them in the cup of water and simmer for 5 minutes. Reserve the vegetable and liquid for later.
- Finely chop the small onion.
- In a large pan, melt the butter and saute the onion until wilted.
- Blend in flour, cook for a few minutes, then slowly add the chicken broth, whisking mixture constantly. Stir until thickened slightly.
- Add the milk and vegetable mixture and bring to a boil.
- Add the salt and pepper, dry mustard and cayenne pepper.
- Grate the cheddar cheese and add the cheese to the mixture.
- Stir until the cheese is melted and the soup is well blended.
- Do not boil the soup after the cheese is added. You risk having the cheese separate.