Recipe by PinkCherryBlossom
A good solid English apple pie. It serves great with custard, cream or ice cream and also goes very well with some sharp cheddar.
- 450 g plain flour
- 115 g butter
- 115 g vegetable shortening
- 25 g caster sugar
- 50 ml water
- 900 g bramley apples
- 115 g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel core and slice apples. Simmer in water until soft (tip, I like to reserve 50ml of this water to use in the pie crust).
- Drain and sprinkle with the cinnamon and sugar, leave to cool.
- Sift flour into a bowl. Cut the butter and shortening into cubes and "rub in" using thumbs and forefingers until the mix looks like breadcrumbs.
- Add sugar and water and mix with a round bladed knife until the mixture sticks in lumps.
- Wrap in clingfilm and chill for 30 minutes Meanwhile preheat oven to 190 deg C/375 deg F.
- Divide pastry in two and roll into two circles slightly larger than a 25cm pie plate. Place one over the plate and trim excess.
- Place the apple mix in the pastry shell and cover with the second pastry circle. brush edges with water and seal with gentle pressing around edge.
- Cut a vent in the centre, brush with water and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 40 mins until golden.