Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 7 hrs
Located somewhere out on the 'net for ZWT6. This is pretty served in a clear glass bowl. Cooking time is cooling time for both the custard and the finished dish!!
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 (3 ounce) package ladyfingers
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 2 cups sliced strawberries (or both) or 2 cups raspberries (or both)
- 1 cup chilled whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons toasted slivered almonds
- Mix 1/2 cup sugar, the cornstarch and salt in saucepan; gradually stir in milk. Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly; boil and stir 1 minute. Stir at least half of the hot mixture gradually into egg yolks. Stir back into hot mixture in saucepan. Boil and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in butter, vanilla extract and almond extract. Cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours.
- Split ladyfingers lengthwise into halves. Layer half of the ladyfingers, cut sides up, in 2-quart glass serving bowl. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the sherry. Layer half of the strawberries and half of the cold egg yolks mixture over ladyfingers; repeat. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours but no longer than 8 hours.
- Beat whipping cream and 2 tablespoons sugar in chilled bowl until stiff; spread over dessert. Sprinkle with almonds.